Since its inception in 2010, Instagram has grown to become one of the most popular platforms for businesses to market their goods and services, and rightfully so. It is the world’s third largest social media site, with over 1 billion active members (following Facebook and YouTube). With more of our clients going to Instagram, we thought we’d share some of our best tactics and marketing suggestions to help you grow your profile.
Let’s start with some stats…
- 130 million users tap on Instagram shopping posts each month – that’s a lot of shopping that’s done through Instagram
- 51% of users are female and 49% are male, so it’s a pretty even split
- 500 million people use stories each day
- The average Instagram business posts once a day – in our opinion the more, the better, but don’t let this scare you off
Setting up your page
The first step to a successful Instagram page is the setup. Depending on how you are going to use it, you need to think about whether you want to set up a business or personal account. If you are happy to be the ‘face’ of the page and be more interactive on it, there could be an argument to go personal. But if you will use it more as a sales platform, go business. If in doubt, opt for a business account as this will give you more insight options (a form of analytics).
You then require to pick a username / @handle, remember these 3 things:
- It requires to be easy to remember
- Must be unique (if possible)
- Keep it relevant
Keep your bio short and to the point. You will want to include your location, business name, any links or website information.
Building your following
Follower numbers are not everything, but you do need to make sure you’re building a following that is engaged with your content and relevant to your business. To achieve this, here are some tips:
- Post-high-quality imagery – this doesn’t always mean you require a fancy camera, your phone will do, but keep it uncluttered
- Keep post imagery relevant to the captions
- Don’t follow a strict schedule and avoid pre-scheduling if possible
- Don’t be too sales based
- Tag your location
- Engage, engage, engage – the most important one – you can’t just be logging in once a week after posting something on your feed. You need to be interacting with customers, and other businesses and using suitable hashtags.
Using your insights properly
Insights can give you a huge amount of information about your customers and target audience. They also tell you whether what you are posting is actually doing what you want it to.
On your Insights, you will find information such as:
- Geographical demographics
- Age demographic
- Gender demographic
- Most active times for your followers – allowing you to work out when is the best time to post
- Accounts reached
- Interactions (comments / likes etc.)
Getting further support
We haven’t even covered half of it, we would need far more time for that… Advertising on Instagram is a massive part of growing your business effectively too.
Like any kind of marketing, it takes time. And honestly, if you don’t have the time, knowledge or the drive to put into your Instagram page, it will fail (sorry to be blunt). But if you would like a bit of a helping hand, there are various solutions we can offer:
Whether it’s virtual or face-to-face, we can provide training sessions to you or multiple people within your business. This will be personalized to your needs, whether it’s a basic setup session, optimizing your account and best practices, or more in-depth information about advertising
Just want some help getting your ducks in a row? We can offer one-off support for your Instagram page. This could include setting up the page or completing an advertising campaign for a new product or service.
Retained Instagram support
Really want your Instagram page to pick up? A marketing retainer will ensure goals are in place to get your page growing. From increasing your follower count to improving engagement and referrals to your website, we can be as involved as you require us to be and our social media marketing packages are fully bespoke.
Ready to start working with a social media agency in Cornwall?
Hopefully, we have given you just a small insight into how Instagram could help your business. If you’re not active on this platform, you really could be missing a trick! Our social media agency in Cornwall specialises in Instagram and we work with many local businesses and companies further afield with their social media too.
Get in touch with our team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07474282520